Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Pasture Rules Issued for Organic Dairy Producers



I have to admit that I lost my interest in eating all kinds of meat after learned Suda’s class which mentioned the meat industry of America. Sometimes I even doubt food although they just have little relation to animals such as egg and milk. I have been a vegetarian since I came to American which means any potential food problems will definitely far away from me. However, my body warns me and I also feel not well sometimes after I totally give up eating meat for more than two months. Frankly speaking, I care about the balance of my diet very much as I know it’s the main energy source of my body. In china, I have never confronted food problems as long as they are home cooking. Fortunately, with the increasing knowledge of American food industry, I find only organic food could solve all the problems which I concerned about. As we all know, organic food is really expensive and not every American could afford it, but I think it has a large space for developing.


When you read until here, it still seems has nothing to do with our topic which is environmental news analysis. Actually I just want to figure out why I pick the following news named “New Pasture Rules Issued for Organic Dairy Producers”. The headline of this news clearly gives me the general idea of the news and I clicked it without any hesitation. For this extent, I think news headline should be easy to understand and somehow briefly summarize the whole news.
The structure about this piece of news is also organized. First, the author gives introduction about the regulations for organic dairy producers. Then, he quotes the words said by Miles V. McEvoy who is the deputy administrator of the National Organic Program to illustrate the essentiality of carrying on the new pasture rules. The usage of attribution also increases the credibility of the article. In the following paragraphs, the author makes a contrast between the old regulations and the new regulations for organic dairy producers in order to emphasize that new rules tend to be more specific and restrict. For example, the rules say that animals must get at least 30 percent of their food from pasture during the grazing season. Plus, the author also points out how the new rules are applied into practice. He wrote that Mr. McEvoy said the rules would be enforced by organic certifiers who will be required to make at least one inspection a year. After that, the writer takes Stonyfield Farm and Aurora Organic Dairy these two typical organic diary producers as examples to explain that many producers are willing to follow the new rules and are going to make significant changes in the dairy’s operations. At the end of article, the author reveals the new rules also apply to cattle raised for beef to make sure beef cattle are fed on qualified diet.


This news was represented with clear formatting, only words and a picture, but conveys strong information. I was reminded that news with good structure article can still function well even without good pictures or vedios.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/business/13organic.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

No comments:

Post a Comment